What number should we use in form i-864 and i864a (affidavit of support) when we filed joint income taxes?

Porterville, CA |

i am currently answering form i864 as a joint sponsor (my brother is the primary sponsor) and my husband is also filling up form i864a. We filed joint income taxes. we are not sure what number to use on boxes asking our total income. we already filed these forms twice and every time they review it, the boxes where total income should be are always incorrect. both of us have total gross of $106,000. That's the number we put in the last form we submitted but it turned out incorrect.

Read the form's instructions carefully. The information is there. Hire an immigration attorney as an alternative.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

I agree with my colleague. If you are having problems filling out the forms it is best to bring all of your paperwork to an immigration attorney who can assist you.

Alexus P. Sham-The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with my colleagues that you should hire an immigration attorney. It is difficult to understand your question. If you are saying the USCIS has reviewed the I-864 previously and returned it, twice, then maybe you should take that as a strong indication that you should hire an immigration attorney rather than continue to stumble around in the dark on this. Additionally, I believe the Form I-864 asks for the name of the preparer of the Form , which is required if anyone helps you prepare the Form. Answering specific questions about preparing the Form may mean that the person who is assisting you should sign your Form I-864 as the preparer. Again, heir an immigration lawyer for this.

The person who posted this question, as well as anyone else who reads this response, should understand that the response is not, and should not be understood as, legal advice. Rather, it is legal information, based on the abbreviated facts presented. Immigration law is very complex, unfortunately, and immigration status adjudications are highly fact-dependent. The reader should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to analyze the facts specific to his/her particular situation to obtain “legal advice”; which this is not. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature and informational only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

I believe your husband needs to write out how much he makes himself since he is the co-sponsor, not you. The $106,000 includes your income. But you are not a sponsor. Your husband needs to subtract what he makes from the $106,000 and write that amount down as his income.

If your affidavit has been rejected twice -- and there is insufficient information here to determine why -- it is best to consult an immigration attorney.