Skip to main content

What legal rights does a non-custodial parent have with their child after child support is established?

Plano, TX |

I currently pay for the house my daughter is living in, and i am getting ready to have a child support order issued against me, at my request. will her mom have to re-register her at school? Currently she was registered at school by me... Also, is it true that I can't sign or take her to the doctor if she needs to go, such that I can't consent to her getting medical attention?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You certainly have some important questions regarding the rights of a non-custodial parent. The primary rights and duties of a parent are not contingent on the finality of a support order. Provided that paternity has already been established though birth records, acknowledgment, presumption or court order either parent can register a child for school. There should be no need to re-register, unless the child is moving to a new school. With regard to medical attention the same holds true. The issues you raise are not dependent upon establishing child support. However, with such serious questions unanswered, I would recommend you consult an attorney.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown


The attorneys from your same state are the best source of guidance and up-to-date information. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer