Skip to main content

What legal questions can I ask in my own murder trial if I am doing a pro se

Dallas, TX |

Please give me info on what questions I can ask to represent myself and how can I get a lawyer to represent me if I dont have the money. I dont want a court appointed lawyer. they didnt represent me at all previously

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You REALLY need an attorney. Aside from court-appointed attorneys, there are are organizations out there which provide attorneys on a pro bono basis or "low bono" basis.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area.


There seems to be no way you can be worse off with a court appointed lawyer than with no lawyer. If you insisit of going pro se (a very bad idea) then ask the court to appoint a lawyer to advise you instead of represent you and see if the court will agree to go that route. That lawyer could then answer these type of quetions for you and you could conduct your own defense and do it all yourself while having some advice available. Some judges will consider this option but not ever judge will. Frankly you need a lawyer unless you are a very rare person with the skills to represent yourself effectively.


If you can't afford to hire an attorney, get a court appointed attorney. You'll find that those attorneys appointed to defend major felonies are generally very good lawyers, especially in the metropolitan areas. Pardon my bluntness, but don't be an idiot and try to represent yourself. You don't know how to pick a jury. You don't know how to keep evidence out or how to get it in. You don't know how to object to a court's charge. Trying to represent yourself in a murder case if you don't know what you're doing is like trying to take your own appendix out. Can't be done well.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.


I hope that your question is a hoax - just to see how many lawyers will take the bait and respond to your question.

If you are serious, God help you. Enjoy the rest of your days in prison.

Either get a court appointed attorney NOW, or hire one. If you want to try your hand at criminal litigation, go out and get a traffic ticket.

You need a lawyer.

This answer is for general purposes only, and is no subsitute for specific legal advice that would come from an attorney hired by you, having full knowledge regarding the facts and circumstances of your individual situation. This correspondence does not create an attorney-client relationship, and you should consult with one or more attorneys prior to acting on any of the information provided in this response.



its not a hoax. I am trying to find a lawyer for my brother that was set up in a murder trial. he wants to do a pro se but I didnt think it was a good idea either. but he cant afford a lawyer and the court appointed lawyer wanted to quit the day of the trial and the judge would not let him so my brother is in prison for an accidental murder. do you have any ideas to help him or what do or would you take the case. he has filed an appeal but the new lawyer has not contacted him or trying to help him either. so we are stuck on this matter. thanks for your answer...Joyce


Hire a lawyer!!! This is your life at stake. Take out a something. Hire an attorney now.

the answer to your question is not intended to constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship. The answer provided is based on the information given in the question and in no way should it substitute consulting with a local attorney about your matter. As with all legal matters, before taking any action on your own, consult a qualified professional to determine whether you need to hire an attorney to assist you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer