What legal consequences would I face if I presented a faked ID-DL to obtain a new membership after being banned, if caught.

Madison, WI |

I was banned from a national chain of workout facilities. Without going into the details, I would like to rejoin from a different location. If I presented a faked ID-driver's license trying to rejoin and it was discovered, either now or in the future, what legal consequences could I face? FYI, I was never issued a trespassing warning, just asked to leave and had my membership revoked.

To start, Forgery in the State of Wisconsin is a class H felony punishable by up to 6 years in prison. So, that is the potential maximum penalty for having a forged state ID.

But not withstanding hypothetical penalties, you need to ask yourself why you want to go back so badly. There must be plenty of other gyms that you can go to. Frankly, this seems like a lot of work and risk just go to the gym.

Thank you Attorney Goodman. Yes, I have personal reasons for wanting to use their facilities. Ouch, possible 6 years and a felony. Is this the same consequences for an underage person who presents a forged ID to obtain alcohol, etc. Or is one type of forgery considered more severe by the state? Thank you.

If the faked ID actually contains another person's biographical information, it would also be punishable as identity theft under federal and state law. Under Wisconsin law, identity theft is a Class H Felony, currently punishable by a fine not to exceed $10,000, imprisonment not to exceed 6 years, or both. Granted, those are maximum sentences, but not something to mess around with.

This response is intended for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship or constitute legal advice.

Thanks Attorney Bushman. The new ID would be some derivation of my own name. It's only purpose is to be deceptive, gain access to the facilities, not steal someone else's identity. Is this also considered a crime? Thank you.

Molly K. Bushman

Molly K. Bushman

Any kind of fraud can subject you to criminal and/or civil liability. Unfortunately, I cannot give specific legal advice on this website. It is against our ethical rules to advise anyone to commit fraud, in any event. I would find a new gym, sorry.