Skip to main content

What kind of sentence does furnishing a false name to police carry in the state of Washington?

Federal Way, WA |

Just found out that a close personal friend furnished a false name to police when he was being arrested and I just wanted to see what kind of sentence he might recieve for such an offense.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


While this type of question would ordinarily seem to be a simple inquiry, there are too many variables that come into play in any case to determine what a sentence will be based upon the few facts you list. What was your friend being arrested for? How many other charges were filed against him? What was their prior arrest history? Conviction History? Were they on probation or parole at the time? In addition to these issues, the litany of aggravating and mitigating factors that can affect the sentence is not short. Respectfully, you would need to consult with your friend's lawyer, who if authorized by your friend could review all of the case facts in light of the aggravating and mitigating factors, and who would then be in a position to properly estimate the sentence. Good luck.

This response does not constitute legal advice. Given the nature of this website, it does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is provided solely for informational purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.


RCW 9A.76.175
Making a false or misleading statement to a public servant.

A person who knowingly makes a false or misleading material statement to a public servant is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. "Material statement" means a written or oral statement reasonably likely to be relied upon by a public servant in the discharge of his or her official powers or duties.

A gross misdemeanor is punishable by up to 365 days in jail and/or a fine of $5,000.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer