Skip to main content

What kind of outcome should i expect from this difficult situation?

Denver, CO |

I was pulled over by a state trooper for weaving . . . took all the field sobriety tests , was booked , taken to do a blood test and then booked - threw and released into my moms custody . . i got a ticket from the officer with 4 charges on there . . . speeding , swerving , tinted windows 16% ( which i is think is a joke ) and driving under the influence of drugs / marijuana , , , should i get a lawyer and what kind of penalties should i expect . . this is my 1st time being pulled over for such a thing

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need to hire a criminal defense attorney in your area to represent you. The DUI carries jail, fines, loss of license, court costs, etc. It will impact you auto insurance rates if convicted. The traffic citations carry fines and points on your drivers license, if CO has a driver point system. Get legal counsel.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


Assuming from your response that this is an allegation of drug (marijuana) DUI and not alcohol and depending on your specific facts you could be charged with DUI or DWAI. A DUI based on drugs requires the prosecutor to prove BEYOND a reasonable doubt that the drugs impaired your ability to drive. I would hire a lawyer to talk about potential defenses that you may have.


See previous answer.


The outcome of this case is dependent on many unknown variables at this time. It is also contingent to some extent on the result of your blood test and whether you hire competent counsel. You are facing the loss of your license, potential jail, probation, drug and alcohol classes, fines and court costs, community service, a conviction will cause you to have a criminal record that cannot be sealed or expunged, etc.

At a minimum, you should consult with a couple of DUI Attorneys and then make a decision on how to proceed from there.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy


Mr. Orr would be an excellent choice to reeive your first call.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer