Skip to main content

What kind of lawyer represents victims of sexual assault that may or may not be related to employment?

New York, NY |

I suffered severe emotional distress and now have symptoms of PTSD and also suffered a physical injury that has resulted in numerous doctor visits?

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I'm too horrified and ashamed to reveal any more details on this forum. But if it wasn't exactly work related (no, it didn't occur at work but it was a work-related context ) then what kind of lawyer handles sexual assaults where physical and psychological injuries were sustained? I just can't go into any more detail and I'm afraid. I don't know who to trust. This is a very powerful person.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 10


First, I am very sorry to hear about your situation. If it is an employment issue, then certainly a labor and employment attorney such as myself could help you. God bless.

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * * * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *



Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm too horrified and ashamed to reveal any more details on this forum. But if it weren't exactly work related (and I realize I'm not going into detail) then what kind of lawyer handles sexual assaults where physical and psychological injuries were sustained? I just can't go into any more detail and I'm afraid. This is a very powerful person.

Ryan M. Finn

Ryan M. Finn


Feel free to give me a call or private email and I can help you out.


Did the sexual assault occur at work? I would more than happy to give you a legal assessment, but need more detais concerning the incident((s). If you feel more comfortable revealing this information in private, contact an employment attorney in your area.

The information provided does not constitute legal advice and is presented without any representation or warranty whatsoever, including as to the accuracy or completeness of the information. Always contact an attorney when seeking legal advice. /


Your question on the one hand lacks important information and on the other, you should not go into details on this site as it a public forum for all to see and read. As a generality, it is clear that sexual assault is not within the description of any job duties; is not to be allowed to occur - and certainly not reoccur; and raises issues not only covering workers compensation law but also intentional torts (assault, battery; intentional/negligent infliction of emotional distress; etc.). You want to consult with a personal injury attorney to begin with; and then see where it goes, depending on a full analysis of the facts based on a sit down consultation, which will be free of charge. I handle both fields, if you want to call; but definitely talk to an attorney right away. Intentional tort cases have only a one year statute of limitations period to commence suit, which starts to run as of the date of assault - so time is of the ensense. Good Luck.

Jeffrey I. Schwimmer, Esq
20 Vesey Street - Suite 1200
New York, NY 10007
(212) 344-6700


It depends. Not enough info. is given to answer. Personal injury lawyers often handle such cases. See for a lawyer in your area. I am sorry for your injuries (physical and emotional). Best of luck,

This is not legal advice. This site is only to be used for general information, not advice on what to do with your specific case.


If the sexual assault occurred at work, then it may be a workmen's compensation case. If a third party committed the assault, then it may be a personal injury case. If it occurred at work, then it may be an employment matter. In any case check AVVO tsp for find lawyer for the category of the case.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Google "sexual abuse lawyer"


You need to consult with a personal injury attorney. Unfortunately cases like this depend largely on your ability to "collect". Intentional torts are not covered by insurance and too often the dead beats perpetrating thes acts are usually "judgement" prrof with little or no assets. You should consult with an attorney however as there may be facts which may be relevant to bringing a more viable claim. If the case is related to the acts of an employee, you may be able to make a claim against the employer if the employee was acting within the scope of his employement. Depending on where the incident occurred, you may also have a claim of negligent supervision.
Get a consultation with a good PI attorney.

My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" 516 466-7900


It is very difficult to answer your question without further discussion.

Herbert Tan, Esq.

The Mack Cali Building
One Bridge Plaza North, Suite 275
Fort Lee, New Jersey 07024
(201) 849-4548

Manhattan Office
305 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, New York 10007
(914) 830-0215

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


Presumably, you filed charges against the perpetrator, as sexual assault is a crime, especially if you suffered a physical injury during the crime, thereby making the DA responsible for carrying the weight of the investigation and prosecution. Your personal injury attorney can be greatly assisted by this, although the civil action has a shorter statute of limitation than may be afforded by the length of the investigation, prosecution of the matter.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


I am sorry to learn of this unfortunate incident. If you would like to contact me by phone or email, and give me more details, I will see whether I can help you, or recommend another attorney who can represent you. As some other lawyers on Avvo advised you, the time to start a lawsuit is one year from the incident.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer