What kind of education is needed to become a lawyer?

I am not looking for a specific lawyer, any lawyer in general.

Filed under: Professional ethics

you must first obtain a bachelors degree from an accredited university or college. thereafter complete a law school that is accredited with a state bar and after completion of law school take and pass a state bar exam to be a practicing lawyer..

without a detailed review by a lawyer can all the issues raised in your question be appropriately addressed...nothing in this response should be construed as establishing a lawyer client relationship..the answers herein are for informational purposes and not to be construed as advice

Normally, four years of college, three years of law school. If night law school, four years. Some programs a bit less (like Southwestern). It is also possble to become a lawyer by "reading" the law, which is basically a five year internship program with a "baby bar" exam after the first year.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Todd Bruce Kotler

Todd Bruce Kotler

but only a few states permit reading for the bar.

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

And most require an apprenticeship.

You typically need to first obtain a bachelor's degree from a 4-year college or university, and then a juris doctorate degree for a 3-year law school.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult with your own attorney.

Four years of drunken partying in college. This is followed by three years and up to $250,000 in tuition of the bitter bitter pain that is law school, a cesspit of uselessness in which one is taught little of any relevance to the practice of law. As an additional mockery, you follow it up with a bar review course that teaches you everything you ACTUALLY need to know in about 3 months and for about $800. Then you nervously take an exam in a crowded hall full of neurotic lawyers-to-be, praying to the Old Gods and the New that you will pass. You finally receive a letter from your board of law examiners saying you now need to attend some stupid 1-day course on professional responsibility, and swear before some bored looking judges, and then you can practice law. (Caveat: Unless you are in NJ, in which case the board of law examiners mistakenly tells you that you've failed, and you subsequently commit seppuku.)

Don't do it. Run very very far away.

The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

i find your answer somewhat amusing, but does it really answer the asker's quesition, or promote the image of attorneys who answer questions online for the benefit of the public?

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Both, I'd say.

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Both, I'd say.

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Both, I'd say.

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Gah ignore the multiple response, Avvo.com was throwing errors at me.

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

My point, however, is that the legal profession is at the worst it has ever been for new graduate employment, according to NALP. For the vast majority of lawyers-to-be, attending law school is a financially irresponsible decision. In fact, I'd say that those who have it best are those in jurisdictions that allow reading for the bar exam in combination with an apprenticeship.

Todd Bruce Kotler

Todd Bruce Kotler

Funny response. Some exaggeration for comic effect but with a great deal of bitter truth.