Skip to main content

What kind of criminal defense lawyer can help my case?

Lowell, MA |

I called 911 because someone was kicking my door and had a gun pointed into the hole they just kicked in. Come to find out it was the police when they entered. The police kicked in my door, placed me in handcuffs, cleared the rest of my apartment to make sure it was safe, and immediately started searching through my place doing anything they felt they wanted to without a search warrant. I asked multiple times why they were here, why I was in handcuffs, and told me that I would soon find out. They questioned my friends what we were doing, and we all told them we were just hanging out playing cards. I was transported to police headquarters with everyone else and they said they were charging me with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Any attorney who practices in criminal law will most likely be able to help you. If you have not been arraigned on the charges, you would be wise to contact an attorney prior to that date as early intervention is helpful. If you can't afford an attorney, the court will most likely appoint you one if you qualify.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and is expressly not legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Readers should not act upon this without seeking advice from professional advisers


You need to hire the best criminal defense attorney in your area you can afford. These facts suggest the police entered without a search warrant and without consent. Your attorney will investigate the case and the reason/probable cause the police had to be at the house and to enter it and the basis of the charges. Get an attorney NOW!

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


I agree with the advice you have already received, and wish to emphasize only one thing. Get yourself an experienced criminal defense attorney right away. Most of us here offer free, if limited, consultations. Take advantage of that to talk privately with one or more who practice in your area. Good luck. One note of caution: do not post any further details anywhere on the Internet, including social media like Facebook.


You need a criminal defense attorney. If you have been arraigned in Lowell District Court and the Court did not appoint you a lawyer contact one immediately. Police can only enter your home and search it without a warrant under very limited circumstances. Also, the facts you include suggest nothing about why the police would charge you with Assault and Battery with a Dangerous Weapon. Work with your lawyer closely as he or she may be able to file motions to get these charges dismissed or evidence suppressed.


You should hire an attorney. Your narrative indicates that you have numerous issues. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer