Skip to main content

What kind of charges and penalties may I face when charged with foraging and cashing checks from a in-laws bank account?

Baltimore, MD |

I have not been charged yet, police are building a case i.e. copies of cashed checks, video of me cashing the checks and so forth. I know for a fact the person who's account I used went to police to press charges and police took case over. I wrote over a month and a half's time about $6000 out of my long-term boyfriend's (14yrs) Aunt's account. We both were and are addicted to percocet, I was the only one working 2-3 days a week, so I started writing and cashing checks out of her account. When she found out she said I had one day to get all the money or she was pressing charges. I'm getting ready to go to rehab once I'm charged and out on bail and then hope to find job and pay back the $6000 before the case goes to court. Only thing on my record is 2nd degree assault 4 yrs ago, age 29.

Also he has not admitted to his family about his problem and that the money was spent on drugs, gas and food for him and I, not that makes a difference casue I wrote the checks. And about $2000 I wrote out of one account to put into the account I was taking money out of. I would like to thank whoever replies and gives me some insight into what I'm looking at, I know that it ultimately comes down to states attorney and/or judge. But I'm hoping that if I get everything repaid and complete rehab to show I'm trying to get my life together that being my first offense for something like this that I can get probation. Thank you again.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are facing very serious potential felony charges and should engage a lawyer. A plea bargain made by this office in a similar case did obtain a suspended sentence for one client, and no more than 3 months actual jail time for another who did the same thing, to the tune of $60,000 from a relative's bank account. But the range of possible penalties is much more severe. First thing, stop posting anything on this public website. Second, do not accept any invitation to informally "talk" with the police, investigators, or a state's attorney. Third, engage counsel to advise you on the process and potential outcomes.


You've committed a felony. You really need to consult a criminal lawyer and to stop posting admissions on a public website.

Regardless of whether you pay the money back before the court date, you still committed a crime for which you may find yourself subject to criminal charges and penalties.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


Retain a lawyer at once. You have posted admissions of guilt in you question, and you need to stop doing that. This is a public forum. The crimes are felony theft, forgery, possibly several other charges based on other facts. It is very serious, so treat it that way. Do not wait to be charged to respond to this situation. Hire experienced legal counsel who will advise you and guide you through this process to achieve the best possible result for you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer