Skip to main content

What kind of attorney will I need to represent me in a administrative hearing against the california department of social servi

Oakland, CA |
Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

You need an attorney who practices occupational licensing law, a sub-set of administrative law.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


An attorney who practices administrative law, specifically, professional licensing law. This area of law is specialized in that it can involve all three branches of the government (executive, legislature, and judiciary). These attorneys understand the administrative law process, which differs from the civil or criminal law process, and the nuances in the laws given each of the executive agencies making the licensing decision (i.e. Department of Social Services).

My law firm (Simas & Associates, Ltd.) has years of experience in this particular area of the law. We have handled license discipline and denials of licenses before DSS in the past. You can also search for professional licensing attorneys on or contact your local county bar association for referrals.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer