Skip to main content

What kind of attorney is best to deal with Social Security, NOT for disability, but identity issues, it's causing a hardship!?

Las Vegas, NV |

My age and name are incorrect, I have brought tons of proof, They say theres a microfish with a different age and parents name they found from 20 years ago, I've been unable to renew my drivers license, work cards, or travel. They have taken 18 months and still are claiming its not me, I've had my job 21 years, same social security number, I'm 41 and feel I need an attorney to help me with this but unsure of what speciality.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Wow! This is a tough one!

You may want to call your local congressman's office and ask for assistance with your problem. This is exactly the type of problem that she or he can help you resolve.

If you still want to hire an attorney, I would probably find an attorney who specializes in SSI or SSDI, not because you have a disability claim but rather because the attorney should be more familiar with the Social Security regulations and get you a quicker resolution.

Please let me know how you ultimately resolve your problem. Good luck!

Unless you came into my office, signed a contract and wrote me a check, I am not your attorney, and you are not my client. This is not intended as legal advice and should only be used for informational purposes only. You should never believe any information that you receive on the internet, especially information that is probably being provided in the late evening hours when I should be sleeping.


I agree with Ms. Weinberg about calling your congressman. However, I believe you will have trouble finding an attorney who specializes in Social Security disability matters to help you. Attorneys who do that type of law generally stay in a specific area such as disability questions and if you insist on consulting an attorney, you may find it easier to hire an attorney who does a general practice or administrative law.

Disclaimer: the above does not constitute legal advice and is only an opinion of the author as to current law. You should consult an attorney with questions about your particular situation.


I think you will need an administrative law attorney, hopefully one specializing in federal government issues. in addition, you may also want to consult with an immigration attorney - again not for immigration per se', but because they often deal with proving birth, identification, etc. issues before federal agencies.

Search here on Avvo, contact your local or state bar association, the Legal Aid Services organization or check with the American Immigration Lawyers Association at

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.