Skip to main content

What kind of attorney do i need?

Albany, GA |

i had a psychiatrist i was seeing and he prescribed me medication that caused weight gain and frequent urination that is permanent i was never told of side effects before he prescribed for any of my medicines from him i've tried a medical malpractice attorney they told me i should have a negligence claim. is negligence claims under personal injury because i'm trying to search for an attorney on avvo

2009-2012 he had prescribed me a medicine increased the dose on it i had bad side effects i gained weight he never mentioned the side effects every medication he gave to me i had side effects from it it took him almost three years for him to take me off of it even though i told him the medication was making me gain weight i didn't want to be on it my doctor who i used to see help me lose weight i went from 222 to 164 i gained back the weight to 211 because of my psychiatrist i was prescribed another medicine it has me frequently urinating a lot and i still go to the bathroom more than i have normally it's been three months now he also prescribed some medication that made my heart rate jump i went to the emergency because i was urinating a lot and they said my heart rate was high and the medicine i was taking would make it jump high and it jumped to 116 while standing 140 while laying down

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Psychiatrist malpractice=professional negligence=medical malpractice. Good luck

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Medical Malpractice.


Call your local bar association for a referral to a medical malpractice attorney. Consults are usually free and most med-mal attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, whereby there is no cost to you, they only get paid if you get a settlement or win at trial. Good luck.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** This response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, a general purpose response based on Florida law is provided. All relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter is not available. Therefore, I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, the review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Karen Munzer, PLLC,, E-Mail: , Tel: (305) 654-4444.


I'm sorry to hear about your experience. To answer your question, this type of negligence claim is handled by personal injury attorneys; specifically, medical malpractice attorneys and drug or product defect attorneys. Most likely, you could find someone in your area like me who handles both. Keep in mind that these cases are typically very contentious. Most med mal attorneys are selective about the cases they handle. Medical negligence cases require proof of both liability and damages. Med mal attorneys must present testimony from other similar doctors, in your case from a psychiatrist, that your doctor violated a standard care in prescribing the medication or by failing to warn you of the side-effects. Med mal attorneys must also present evidence of how the violation of the standard of care resulted in damages to the patient. In most cases, the nature of the patient's damages must be significant enough to justify the time and expense required to sue professionals like doctors /psychiatrists and take on their insurance companies and defense lawyers. I'm not minimizing your injuries or the amount of your suffering. But I question whether suing your psychiatrist is the proper way to go based on what you've described.


Negligence by a medical professional in the scope of their profession is malpractice. You need to talk to a med mal atty.


A med mal attorney, and you can use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool to obtain one. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer