Skip to main content

What kind of an attorney do I need to sue someone for libel/defamation?

Bridgewater, MA |

I am the owner of a private preschool/elementary school in Southeastern Massachusetts. An angry parent has been using facebook, email, text message, and time in the hallway to spread rumors and lies about me personally as well as the school, telling parents not to enroll because I was changing it, taking their money and running, etc. I am interested in suing her for libel and/or slander because our enrollment has dramatically decreased partly as a result. I can prove this through parent emails, texts, and facebook accounts

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Typically, "defamation" actions will be handled by personal injury attorneys (but ones with experience in this particular area is what you are looking for) and/or those practicing in intellectual property. Try finding such attorneys in your area by using the "Find Attorney" button on the Avvo site, or calling your County's Bar Association and asking for a referral Do the same with the State Bar Association. Be aware that such actions have a short statute of limitations period applied to them (the time in which the law requires you to commence the lawsuit), typically only one or two years, so immediate action should be your course. Good luck.


I suggest that you consult with a local personal injury attorney or business attorney and perhaps have a cease and desist letter sent to this parent on the attorney's letterhead, threatening future legal action if the behavior continues.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Have a local lawyer send a strong cease and desist letter, and report the abuse to FB.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer