Skip to main content

What it I do not pay a settlement for a penal code 490.5 charge for my minor son.

Whittier, CA |

Hi my son shoplifted some candy from walmart in Los Angeles County, CA. His charge is penal code 490.5 (f on the citation). I have to take him to court next week. I got a letter today in the mail for a settlement offer from Walmart attorneys. As his parent who is unemployed at the moment what happens if I do not pay this? Will it go against me or my son? As the parent I know I am responsible for him but do I have to pay this or can it go against him since he is out of control? He is 16 years old. Thank you.

+ Read More

Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes
Attorney answers 3


You do NOT have to pay the fine.

All my comments here are intended for general legal purposes. None of my comments here establish an attorney-client relationship with anyone. None of my comments should be relied on in taking legal action without first consulting an attorney.


Do not pay.

Andrew Roberts


You don't have to pay any amounts that Walgreen's seeks to collect. If the Court imposes a fine you can work out a payment plan but what you have received from Walgreen's is not court ordered.