Skip to main content

What is your opinion of Fathers For Equal Rights in Texas?

Houston, TX |

Particularly the program they offer where they offer legal advice with a membership fee?
Would a unwed Father be well off to use this method of assistance while representing himself in a custody matter of an infant or not so much?

+ Read More

Filed under: Filing a lawsuit
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I can respond from the perspective of an attorney who has represented several mothers in litigation against fathers who were receiving services for "Fathers for Equal Rights." I don't know much about the organization, so I can't comment on that. I can just share with you the results I've observed.

What I've observed is that they charge a lot of money for forms that are not all that good, that they give legal advice that is not very good, and mothers-with-attorneys beat fathers-for-equal-rights 100% of the time.

You are much better off with an attorney. If you can afford one, you should hire one.

If you can't afford one, you can talk to Legal Aid in Harris County or the Harris County Bar Association. They might be able to refer you to an attorney who can handle your case for free (probably less than half of all applicants are able to get a free attorney). You can also contact the Texas Legal Services Center ( and see if they can refer you to an attorney who will handle your case at greatly discounted rates. In a county as large as Harris, I'm almost positive the TLSC route will work, if you meet the income requirements.

Hopefully other attorneys will add their comments in response to your question.

Good luck!


I agree with many of the statements made by the other attorney. You may be better off going to the law library at the courthouse or even the public library to get forms. FFER is a good advocate at the legislature, and has been able to get some small changes made to the Family Code. I also have no experience with them in terms of the legal advice they give individual fathers. I'm sure that they can provide a good network of others in your situation, but if all you are looking for is help with forms or specific legal advice you may be better off hiring an attorney.


I actually was a volunteer attorney with Fathers for Equal Rights many years ago. I quit volunteering because I felt like I was wasting a lot of time without a lot of results. I have no idea who their current E D is or their current philosophy or location. I do think that their concept is excellent, but a lot of their volunteers are just unhappy people that lost custody of their kids and are very angry.

I never heard of Legal aide. Don't call 411 and ask for legal aide -- that is an out of state company that rips people off for money!!

There are attorneys that offer payment plans.

Go to the courthouse and look around any morning - especially on Mondays at 8:30 - 9:00 am. Check around. Check the Houston Press or the Greensheet for leads.