Skip to main content

What is the time deadline for motion to reopen based on marriage while the case is pending in BIA?

San Diego, CA |

And is there an exception if filed after this deadline based on marriage?

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration Appeals
Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

If your case is pending before the BIA, and your I-130 has been approved, you should file a Motion to Remand the case to the Immigration Judge. There is no deadline.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


motions to reopen must be submitted within 30 days of the date on the denial letter.

The bad news is that USCIS can take three months to two years to make a decision on a motion to reopen.

The grant of a motion to reopen is at the discretion of the Board of Immigration Appeals and it will turn in part upon the likelihood that the applicant will be granted the relief sought.

There could be many reasons as to why the BIA may deny the reopening of the case, such as the motion is filed after the deadline or the applicant is no longer eligible for relief, or the application is supported by inadequate explanations, etc.

There may be other options if the Court has denied your applications, so it is best to seek the advice of an experienced immigration attorney.



is it 30 or 90 days ? and the case in BIA after immigration court denial, not USCIS

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer