Skip to main content

What is the statute of limitations on a slip and fall case in California?

San Diego, CA |

I slipped in some water and fell in Ralph's Grocery Store last June and now my hip and back are in pain. I have been to the doctor several times and was told that my pain may be the result of the fall. I now take medication for the pain.

I would like to know if it is to late to sue.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I do not practice in CA and you should consult with a local attorney. This information is being provided for educational purposes only.

Your potential claim appears to still be viable. It appears that CA has a 2 yr statute of limitations. Please see the following link:

Michael Shemtoub

Michael Shemtoub


Slip and Fall cases are not easy cases to handle. An incident needs to have been reported at the time of the accident. Then afterwards you need to obtain the logs of the administrative staff or video to see when they last cleaned the area of the slip and fall. I have handled cases against Target, Walmart and other supermarkets for slip and fall cases. These are cases that need plenty of attention to detail. I am the owner of my law firm and whenever a client hires me they work DIRECTLY with me. My fees are also reasonable and in some instances lower than other attorneys Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


California indeed has a two year statute of limitations. So you are okay on that issue. What does NOT appear to be okay is how long it took you to go see a doctor. If you waited six months to see any doctor and get treatment, your claim will be received by the insurance company as weak at best, or fraudulent. What disturbs me is that you say "NOW my hip and back are in pain" A YEAR later? Surely you don't mean that. When did you first go to the doctor complaining of the injuries from the fall? Please post more information on these issues and tell us how much the medical treatment has run so far, regardless of who paid them or if paid.

For further information on negligence claims, see my web site at


You should consult with a local personal injury attorney about this matter.


There is a two-year statute of limitations in California for such a claim, so your time is still okay. You should seek counsel with an experience personal injury attorney to not only review liability (is Ralph's at fault for the water being there), but also your medical care since the date of the accident.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer