Skip to main content

What is the statute of limitations for premises liability?

San Dimas, CA |

I was involved in an accident on a property almost 1 year ago. Is it too late to find a lawyer to handle the insurance claim?

This occurred on private property. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 11


Unless it is a governmental entity (i.e. city, county, state, etc.), you have 2 years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. This assumes you are not a minor as well.


If the property is privately owned you have 2 years from the date of the incident.


Two years fromt he date of incident in most situations.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


The statute of limitations to file a lawsuit against a private party is two years. The statute of limitations against a public entity requires you to file a government claim within six months after the occurrence of the incident. Consult an attorney immediately because the statutory time frames for a government claim after the claim is filed are complicated; and consultations are generally free. Best of luck!

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.


No, you have two years from the date of the accident. Six months if the palce was a local government agency. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


It's not too late if your suit is against a private party, although the insurance company will naturally be curious as to why you did not bring the claim earlier. Did you obtain medical treatment after the accident? Do you have any way of proving your injuries?

You'd be wise to consult with a local attorney to determine your best course of action.

Good luck.

This answer is a general interpretation of the law and is not fact specific to your case. Likewise it does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for a review of your specific facts and documents.


2 yrs unless gov entity.


The SOL is two years for competent adults; unless it was on a property owned by the government, in which case there is a requirement to file a claim within 6 months.


You have 2 years from date of accident, but shorter if governmental entity.


It seems that the correct answer is 2 years.


Sue, sue, sue, sue to your heart's content

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 39 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer