Skip to main content

What is the statute of limitations for fraud by a social security representative payee, in the state of Texas?

Stockport, OH |

My mother's first representative payee took her back pay from social security. It was the sum of $8,907. We have been pursuing this for over a year now. The Houston social security stated that there is nothing more they can do. So this prior payee, so far, has walked away with my mom's money, We are just wondering if there is anything we can do since it has been over a year. Thanks

+ Read More

Filed under: Fraud Social security
Attorney answers 2


A representative payee has certain duties that they must perform. One is an accounting of where the money goes and how it is spent. this can be done online. See:

If you have conrete proof that this woman took the money and spent it for something other than the care of your mother, you could contact a criminal attorney in your area. They would need to specialize in federal matters. You will need to provide proof of the fraud.

It seems that there might be some additional information missing: Did she take any of the monthly checks? What does she claim happened to the money? What reason does SS give for the fact that "there is nothing more they can do?"

This answer contains general information only; and it is not intended as legal advice. It is not intended to and does not create an attorney client relationship. Information contained here is only a starting point and you should consider discussing your specific problem in depth with a licensed attorney.


You need to talk to a Texas Fraud Law attorney since it happened in Texas. Find one and file a claim in court against the representative asap since you only have a limited amount of time to file a claim before your mom's legal rights are gone. Look for one under the Find a Lawyer tab at or call the Houston local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Fraud Law attorney near you. But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to actually handle a problem or file case in court or your rights may expire (it's often called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to an Fraud Law attorney and finding out what legal rights there are. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote UP” review below. And be sure to indicate the best answer to your question so we can all be sure we are being helpful. Thanks for asking and Good Luck. Ron Burdge,

Click here for a list of state and local attorney bar associations

Click here for a list of state and local women attorney’s bar associations

What are attorney bar associations and how do they work? Click on this Wikipedia answer here

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. If you need a Consumer Law attorney, click the link above to find a Consumer Law attorney near you.