What is the statute of limitation on rape?

Gay, GA |

I need to know if it is too late to bring charges for rape against someone that has committed the act again since me. Someone has to do something.

15 years, unless there is DNA evidence. If there is DNA then no limitations period exists. The offence must actually be rape for this limitation period to be applicable. Sexual battery and other related crimes have different limitations periods.

This response is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please note that the information I provide is for the state of Georgia only and should not be used for any purpose in any other jurisdiction.

Are you asking from the standpoint of pursing a civil claim - for money damages?

Generally the statute of limitations in Georgia is 2 years. It may be longer under some circumstances.

The statute of limitations is one thing; but if you did not report the event at the time, reporting it now may not result in a case against him for that act. But it may help a prosecution for the second act. Was the second act reported to police? If so, go talk to the police who handled that investigation, and they will take it from there.

Thanks for reading my response to this question. If your found this answer "Helpful" or "The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT, because Avvo awards me points. Thank you! Note that the questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.