Skip to main content

What is the statute of limitation on a payday loan in Missouri ?

Kansas City, MO |

It is over 7 years old and now a mediator or advocacy rep is telling me they are filing felony charges against me for writing a bad check as theft . 3 years ago a collection agency called me about debt , but I told them it had been paid and if they had proof of non - payment to send me a letter ; showing me this proof . I never heard from them again , and never received anything in mail . Now 3 years later , making it a total of 7 years , this new agency is calling me telling me if I don't set up payment arrangements they will be filing charges against me .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Most felony cases in Missouri have a three-year statute of limitations. There are some exceptions to this. You should contact an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case and determine whether the threat of felony charges is viable.

Specific facts regarding your case should not be posted in a public forum as they may be used against you by law enforcement. My answer to your question is based upon the limited facts provided by you and is subject to revision and change. You should contact an experienced criminal defense attorney directly regarding your case. Answering this does not create an attorney client relationship between us. I can be contacted directly at (314) 645-6666 or


3 years for property felonies. if charges are brought, hire an attorney to investigate the deadline. A prosecutor may refuse to prosecute knowing a violation of the statute of limitations has occurred.

NEVER describe your facts in an online forum. I have CONFIRMED there is at least ONE county prosecutor that is a member of this site. My statements are my opinion solely based on the information provided, and that opinion can be wrong if your facts are different than what I believed them to be. If you have any further questions, you can contact me at 636-532-1400 or through my website


The statute of limitations on a felony passing bad check charge is 3 years. I don't see any way that you could be charged 7 years later. It looks like a scare tactic to get you to pay. Obviously, it is always in your best interest to consult with an attorney and show him all your paperwork, just to be sure.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer