Skip to main content

What is the rule on repairs of rentals?

Los Angeles, CA |

I recently had a tenant complain that her bath drain was clogged for a week and needed someone to come out right away. I had the plumber come out and the drain was clogged with hair. Is this my responsibility or do i pass the bill to my tenant.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Repairs arising from normal wear and tear are the responsibility of the landlord. Hair in the drain is probably normal wear and tear.


It would be your responsibility


I agree with my colleagues. Since I pay for my own plumbing repairs, I use strainers in drains where appropriate to prevent the problem. Such clogs are easily rooted out with a small hand held devise you can purchase at any hardware store. If it is a frequent problem, you may wish to invest in such a devise for future occurrences. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference