Skip to main content

What is the relocation laws for non custodial parents?

Newberg, OR |

We have standard visitation agreement. I have full custody. The non custodial parent, gave 10 days notice to relocating to Colorado. Now as he moved 5 days ago, today he says that he gets the entire summer except two week and if I want to see him for those two weeks, I will need to pay for that airplane ticket. Our son has a 4H pig that he just bought to raise for fair, has 4H camp and a basketball camp. All of this was planned before he told us he was moving. I want him to see his Dad but I am objecting to the entire summer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Unless and until he files to have his visitation modified by the court, you do not have to send your son to CO for the summer. However, if the visitation order says he gets 2 weeks in the summer you still need to send him if he pays for the airfare AND you have his address, phone number. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.


As long as the current custody order remains in effect, you're both obliged to follow it to the best of your ability. So whatever time the father would have had with the child under the old plan, he should still have. That will obviously be quite impossible if the old schedule was "every other weekend" or the like. If that's the case, then one of you ought to file a motion to modify the custody judgment in light of these new circumstances. You can read more about these laws here:

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Avvo child custody email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about child custody law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer