Skip to main content

What is the proper method for a personal representative & successor trustee to report income received after a decedent's death?

Saint Louis, MO |

My father died February 26, 2013. His brokerage account was registered in the name of his revocable living trust for which he was sole trustee. I am the personal rep of the estate, the sole successor trustee of the trust, and sole beneficiary. Between the date of his death and the date when the stocks in the brokerage account were transferred to my name, the only income was $1,800 of dividends in the brokerage account and a $402 state income tax refund. The brokerage firm reported these dividends under my father's SS number and included them with $200 of dividends received in 2013 prior to his death. Is this proper? What income do I report on the 2013 income tax returns of my father, the estate and/or the trust? Thank you so much for your advice.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You really should see an accountant, who can determine which returns need to be whether they should be filed under his social security number or if there needs to be a separate Estate or Trust Tax ID number established. It's money well-spent.

Legal disclaimer: DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged and/or wherein the legal issue arises; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State in which your particular issue has arisen.