Skip to main content

What is the processing time for re-entry permit for a Permanent Resident?

Corona, CA |

I would like to apply for a re-entry permit for my son who is 13 years old. He's been here in America for more than 3 years now. Reason for his longer stay in the Philippines is for him to study there. Can this reason be granted for re-entry permit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


The processing times for all types of applications, including RP are posted at the USCIS website TIP: whatever processing time you read there, add at least another month +, to be on the safe side and not be disappointed. Those are not "real time" reports, but average estimates.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


From recent experience, I believe it took about 4-5 months to process.


I agree with counsel. You should apply for the re-entry permit for him. If you get in to a time bind. Make an Infopass appointment with your local CIS office and show them your receipt. You may have to file and pay for another re-entry petition but it will be issured by them.


Yes studying abroad is an acceptable reason for a re-entry permit. Typical processing time is 3 months, but it could take longer. Check the website.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.


From three to six months or longer if there are complications.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602