Skip to main content

What is the process to provide a small estate affadavit for surviving spouse? Husband was on Medicaid and in nursing home in IL.

Milan, IL |

Dad was in a nursing home for 2 yrs prior to his death and had 6 shares of a common stock. There was a will, but no assets, no probate. Mom has provided proof of power of atty, death certificate, and medallion signature to transfer stocks to her name so she can liquidate, but now is being asked for sm estate affadavit. Not sure what this process entails.. Does she have to take this form before a judge? How much does this cost? Wondering if cost will be more than the value of the 6 stocks. Please advise.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


A small estate affidavit is a simple form which some institutions require in lieu of a full blown decedent's estate. The form can be found on line or an attorney can prepare it for you at minimal cost. The form does not have to be brought before a judge.


Go on the website of the local county court for the form and copy it, fill it out and get it notarized.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


The Rock Island County clerk of the Circuit Court website has a small estate affidavit available for you. You should download that form and carefully fill it out. It may or may not require a notary. That should be sufficient and you do not need to go to the actual judge to have anything done.

Good luck!

Legal Disclaimer: Paul A. Smolinski is licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois only, and as such, his answers to AVVO inquiries are based on his understanding of Illinois law only. His answers are for general information about perceived legal issues within this question only and no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to extend any right of confidentiality between you and Mr. Smolinski, to constitute legal advice, or create an attorney/client or other contractual relationship. An attorney/client relationship is formed only by specific agreement including an evaluation of the specific legal problem and review of all the facts and documents at issue. We try to insure the accuracy of this information, but we cannot guarantee its accuracy. The reader should never assume that this information applies to his or her specific situation or constitutes legal advice. Therefore, please consult competent counsel that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances.


I agree with the earlier answers, but, to assure compliance with the statute and acceptance, I suggest you consider an attorney preparing the form if the stock is worth any reasonable value. The discussion and arrangements can often be handled by phone, fax and E-mail and the cost is not substantial.

The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to adequately advise you. The response provided is intended to be informative, but not final. You are advised to arrange a consultation at which all facts and documents can be explored and terms for representation agreed. An attorney-client relationship must be formally established.