Skip to main content

What is the process of converting H1 to H4 for spouse?

Cincinnati, OH |

My wife was on H4 visa when she came to USA. Last year I processed her H1 and she is currently on H1 visa since Oct.13. She has an employer but she has not yet find a client to pay salary and now a days she is on bench. I wish to convert her H1 back to H4. What would it cost and what is the process to do so?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


File an H-4. She can do this on her own if she wishes.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Her employer filed the H1B petition, not you.

If she was granted change of status to H1B, she is no longer in H4 status. She cannot be benched without violating her H1B status. She will probably have to depart the U.S.

For case specific advice please consult with an immigration attorney. Contact info is in Avvo or at


Done on Form I-539. Read the instructions.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


A change of status application must be filed. FYI her employer is required to pay her salary, her salary is not dependent on finding clients.


You seem to be a valuable addition to the American company with your professional talents of prospective contribution since it kindly sponsored you, therefore, ask the employer to kindly direct you to its attentive and considerate immigration visa counsel who will dispel your confusion momentarily.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer