Skip to main content

What is the process for getting a court appointed attorney in state of Alabama

Auburn, AL |

I have to go to court for a dui soon and this will be my 2nd offense in alabama within 5 years. I recently got a job but I don't make alot of money. I think i might request for a court appointed attorney but does anyone know about how much they charge??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The assistance of the Public DEfender is typically provided through the Court for those who cannot afford a lawyer and who are facing the prospect of either jail or fines in excess of levels set by the State. Call the Court and ask them the levels, which you can then compare against what you are making. The cost is usually nominal, and the Court can tell you the application fee. Good luck.

This response does not constitute legal advice. Given the nature of this website, it does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is provided solely for informational purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.


The system in AL may be different than in WA, but where I practice, the court appointed attorneys are often appointed with no fee at all. Occasionally, they will be appointed with a fee that is assessed only if the client is found guilty. The fee is on a sliding scale and depends on how much you make and what assets you have. The only way to be sure is to ask. Apply for a court appointed attorney and see what they say.


Because this is your second offense and you are facing mandatory jail time if convicted, the court must appoint you an attorney. At your first court appearance you should sign an affidavit stating you are indigent and request an appointed attorney.

Private counsel fees vary, but on a DUI expect to pay at least $1500 and sometimes up to $10,000 for the most experienced DUI attorneys.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer