Skip to main content

What is the process for filing a complaint with the Texas bar association for attorney misconduct

Houston, TX |

I hired an attorney to represent me in a family law matter. After attempting mediation as required by the court, we were able to reach an agreement. Per the agreement reached, my attorney was to draft the final order for entry by the court. After more than seven months and several lies about why the order had been drafted, I was forced to fire this attorney.

I hired a new attorney to draft the order and have it entered by the court only to find out that the case had been removed from the courts calender three months prior and dismissed because a judgement was never entered. Its seem as if my EX had outstanding legal fees with her attorney so the two attorneys involved in the case delayed entry of a judgment until the fees were paid. My legal fees were paid in full. Can these two attorneys get away with this? Should my attorney have allowed this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you want to file a complaint with the State Bar of Texas, go to their website and look under "public". They have the forms and all the information you need on-line.


Please don't misunderstand me, because I'm not being unsympathetic. It's more that I'm confused by your question and I'm not sure about your goals.

I'm not sure that you're only intending to ask about filing a complaint with the State Bar.

I'm not discouraging you from doing that, but I'm not sure what your goal is. If your goal is to see that their conduct is investigated and that any misconduct is punished, then that may be the route to take. But that's not a very effective route to change your own situation.

Of course you're angry and frustrated. But has the delay ended up jeopardizing the performance of the agreement reached at the mediation, or has your new attorney been successful? He or she is probably better acquainted with the background than any of us reading your question here can be. Is there some reason you haven't asked him or her about this?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer