What is the process after one wins a judgement in small claims court? How long can it take?

New York, NY |

Went small claims court over money owed from sale of a house.Claim was made and a judgement was won. Need to follow up with obtaining the owed money.

Filed under: Small claims court

You have to take steps to enforce the judgment. Either do it yourself or contact the Sheriff or Marshall.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

There are pamphlets you can find at the Court you won. These

Edwin Drantivy

Edwin Drantivy

These pamphlets have step-by-step directions.

Dear Small Claims Judgment Creditor:

At the Internet site for the New York City Small Claims Court is the information you need to first know:

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/COURTS/nyc/smallclaims/collectingjudgment.shtml

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.