Skip to main content

What is the procedure in obtaining divorce legal documents on file in Duchess County Supreme Court

New York, NY |

Is there any form to fill out? I am sure the records are confidential. What if an attorney on record would like to obtain all records?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Only a party, an attorney of record, or someone a party authorizes in a notorized authorization can review a matrimonial file.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Either a party or someone they have authorized can obtain the records. Also, the attorneys of record can obtain copies of the court file.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


You go to the county clerk's office.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


You will also need to bring your Homeland Security acceptable ID if you are the party.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


If anyone other than the party or the attorney of record attempts to retrieve files, it's best to call ahead & ask the clerk's office whether they accept a notarized authorization to retrieve such records. I've had some courts (e.g., Westchester ±Family Court) reject "mere" authorizations.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer