Skip to main content

What is the procedure for selling a house that I inherited in NC ?

Baltimore, MD |

I am the executor of my Aunt"s will and the estate has not been closed yet. I plan on selling the house. What do I need to do before that happens? How do I have the house deeded to me and can that be done when I sell?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If the probate is in a NC court, then you probably should open up your query to NC licensed attorneys for the good advice you need.

This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California.


If your Aunt's estate is in North Carolina, your best bet is to hire a NC probate attorney to make sure that things are handled properly. If her estate is in Maryland, you should hire a Maryland probate attorney. If the later, please feel free to contact me.

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.


You will have to do at least some portion of "probate" in the state where the house is located, since it is real property. Eventually, in the probate process, under the supervision of the court, the personal representative or executor would be authorized to convey the property by what may, in some states (mine, notably) a "Personal Representative's Deed." Still, you should seek counsel in that state where the property is located.