Skip to main content

What is the probability my gay domestic partner--a Brit--can immigrate to the US with me, an American citizen?

San Francisco, CA |

We will have had a civil partnership (performed in the UK) for 12-36 months when we would like to come to the US. I work on US military bases as a teacher; he works in IT. No felonies. No other disqualifications except being gay.
First choice to live is California. Other states certainly possible.
Ages: 64, 56
Birthplace: CA, USA; New Zealand.
Excellent work history--both.

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration Marriage
Attorney answers 5


There are no immigration benefits for same sex couples at this point due to the Defense of Marriage Act.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Unfortunately, I must agree with Mr. Misiti.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Unfortunately USCIS does not recognize gay marriage at this time. it would be easier ofr him to find an employer to sponsor him


I must agree with my colleagues above.

Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. Moore & Moore Attorneys at Law --


None for the reasons my colleagues have already mentioned. Maybe your partner can immigrate through other family or an employer. To this end, it might be prudent for your to seek my legal advice or that of one of my esteemed colleagues. I can be reached at either (770)955-1785 or via e-mail at Hope this helps. Wishing you both well.

This communication does not create an attorney client relationship. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at any time at either (770)955-1785 or (678)576-9394 or via e-mail at THINK IMMIGRATION - THINK BOB BEER

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer