What is the penalty for Defiant trespass in NJ transit light rail (newport)?

Jersey City, NJ |

When I called, they asked to pay fine at the jersey city municipal court.
Ticket was issued and the court date was sent to wrong address.
When I went to pay the fine, JC municipal court said, I didn't appear for court hearing and I had to get bail and wait for new court date to be sent to new address.

Please advice if I need to appear with attorney.

Best Answer

I agree with Mr. Blauvelt. They are usually ordinances- but as Mr. Mark says they can be administrative from the transit code also. Show them the wrong address info and they will drop any contempt. In the mean time post the bail (yourself) and it will be returned. You did not indicate what you did to constitute the offense. You may not be guilty.

Thank you for responding. I stepped in light rail track to cross. The officer gave a ticket stating 2c 18.3b.

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Ok that is neither. 2C:18-3b is a criminal code charge. It is a petty disorderly person's offense and goes on your CCH. Do not plead to this until you speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney. They must prove notice-by sign, fense or otherwise. If the cop doesn't show, and in Jersey City they may not- you can win.

The penalty depends on the statute. You could be cited under the criminal code, the administrative code or a municipal ordinance. Normally, you should be able to go to court and pay the fine without a problem since you already posted bail. Just don't miss another court date.

The light rail offenses are usually charged as municipal ordinances. If that is the case here, you may not need an attorney for this matter.