Skip to main content

What is the order or motion called to enforce pendente lite payments are made?

Mineola, NY |

There is an order in place for support while my divorce case is being litigated but my husband does not send the court ordered amount. He makes random deductions from my support and gives less than is ordered and is behind by $900 so far. My case is in Long Island, New York.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It's a motion seeking enforcement and/or to hold him in contempt. Whether it will be effective in a case involving only $900 is questionable.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


You can move to hold him in contempt and/or compel compliance.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


You would have to do an Order To Show Cause for contempt. The court will give him time to purge the contempt. Depending upon the order and what is owed, at some point you can do an income execution for arrears and the weekly or monthly amount of support.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer