Skip to main content

What is the official statement of what a police officer must observe to determine a driver has failed to stop at a stop sign?

Mountain View, CA |

I am looking for the relevant code in CA. I do not know if it is specific to municipality, but if so, I would like to see the policy for Santa Clara county.

TO BE CLEAR: I am looking for the internal police policy - not what a driver must observe.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Google 22450 VC


In summary:

You stand a far better chance at trial if you hire an attorney to handle this matter. If you proceed to trial and represent yourself, it will be your word against the cop. The cop will lie without blinking and the judge will be much more likely to believe a cop when he is not opposed by an attorney. Best of luck in fighting this.


The Vehicle code 22450 outlines the violation. Look it up and you'll have the technical definition for the violation. As for fighting such a ticket, you should consult with a ticket lawyer.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer