Skip to main content

What is the next step after a pro se divorce has been filed and an answer was filed afterwards?

Fort Worth, TX |

My husband filed a pro se divorce in Texas. I responded with an answer that stated I would sign the decree after we reach a marital settlement agreement. My answer also stated that I wish to be notified of all future proceedings. What is the next step? Since my husband filed the petition, isn't his responsibility to draft the martial settlement agreement or is it mine? Also, am I not supposed to be legally notified of all happenings after the answer was filed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Either one of you can draft the marital settlement agreement. You should be notified of hearing and pleadings filed in the case. After 60 days of filing the divorce, the court can grant the divorce. If it is not contested, then it can be "proved up" on the uncontested docket. Courts handle their prove up dockets differently. You can call the trial coordinator to determine how that particular court handles the prove up docket.

James V. Esh

*** Information provide for informational purposes only. This communication does not create an attorney client relationship ***

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer