Skip to main content

What is the maximum penalty for leaving the scene of an accident?

Elberton, GA |

No injuries. A barbwire fence was the only property damage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


For a first offense involving leaving the scene of the accident in GA, it is most likely a misdemeanor if there was just property damage and no injuries. You could face fines of up to $1000 dollars and COULD do jail time, although that is HIGHLY unlikely for a first offense. You will get an automatic revocation of your driver's license for 6 months minimum. Contact a lawyer in your area conversants in these issues.... much will depend on the circumstances, the type of vehicle you were driving (car vs. 18 wheeler for instance), why the accident occurred (your carelessness, bad weather, etc), and why you left the scene. Best of luck to you. SHM


Your license can be suspended. You can be fined up to $1000 plus court costs. And you could spend a year in jail. While you could have a lesser sentence, the licenses suspension alone is reason to get legal counsel immediately.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Is your case in Elbert County State Court or in Elberton Municipal Court or somwhere else? You need to speak with a lawyer that is familiar with court sytstem in Elberton and Elbert County. I pratcie in Elbert County of a regular basis and assure you that Leaving the Scene charges are not to be taken lightly you can lose your license, get hit with jail time and a big fine. Call a lawyer wih experinece in the area ASAP.


I agree with attorney Wiltshire and the other posts that you should seek counsel from a local attorney well versed in both personal injury and criminal law. I wish you all the best.

Provision of information in response to this question does not create an attorney-client relationship and the questioner is encouraged to seek and retain legal counsel in order to discuss their question(s) further and directly with legal counsel. Respondent is licensed to practice law in Georgia and Tennessee for non-Federal matters with a primary focus on personal injury and workers' compensation, and is also authorized by the Social Security Administration to represent claimants nationwide in Social Security Disability claims. The questioner is advised that some responses on this site are provided by attorneys who are not licensed in the respective jurisdiction of the questioner, and any advice from attorneys on this site concerning state-specific areas such as workers' compensation by attorneys who are not licensed in the applicable and appropriate jurisdiction should be viewed as for general educational purposes and should generally be given lesser weight than responses by attorneys licensed in the governing jurisdiction. Response to this question further assumes that the questioner is not currently represented by counsel, and if this is not the case, then it is recommended that any further questions or concerns be directed to their current legal counsel.