Skip to main content

What is the likelihood of early termination being approved for my probation (misdemeanor violation) considering...?

Rochester Hills, MI |

I was sentenced for 1 yr of probation, 50 hours of community service, fines, random drug/alcohol tests, and online coursework for retail fraud (3rd degree, 1st offense) in January of 2013. I have since fulfilled all requirements except probation time (i.e. comm. service done, all fines paid, and completed classes). I need to leave the country and go take care my elderly parents. They are both very ill; I have medical records. This whole situation and the stress of not knowing if I will see my parents before anything happens has taken it toll on my life. I am unable to perform normal, daily functions due to emotional issues this has caused. I have started seeing a therapist who would write a letter for reference as well. What are the chances this will work? [52 - 3rd District Court]

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should hire a Criminal Defense Attorney to file a formal Motion with the Judge, because although it is extremely helpful that you have completed all your probation requirements, you were only sentenced two months ago, so you are asking to be released VERY early. Perhaps you can convince the Judge to allow non-reporting probation.


It happens. You seem to be on a good course, but you should hire an attorney to file a motion on your behalf. Even if the probation isn't terminated, the judge may very well give you permission leave the country under the circumstances-but you will have to prove that your parents need you. A letter froma therapist will help.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer