Skip to main content

What is the legal age to move out of your parents house in the state of Washington.

Sequim, WA |

How old do you need to be to move out of your parents house without going through court if you are a minor? If you just can't stand living there anymore and you are like 17 but your birthday isn't until January.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I believe a child can seek emancipation from the Court at age 16, but that's different than just "moving out of the parents house".

Jack Berner

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.



im 17 going to be 18 in 5 months and im tired of liven with my parents im adoptied been for 15 years and i really want to live in cali with my bf and finish school with him. im also going to be with his parents and ill have a job and ya I did to know what i can do


In WA, a person generally becomes a legal adult when the person is 18 or marries or is otherwise emancipated by the court.

Local police departments often do not get involved when a 17-year-old moves out unless there appears to be crimes being committed against the child.

Do you have a plan for living on your own? Running a household is much more complicated than it may look. Do you have money for rent, food, clothing, and all the other expenses? Can you do lawful work to get the money?

If there is unlawful abuse at your house, and especially if there are younger children there, you may want to consider reporting the abuse.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer