What is the highest form of law?

Atlanta, GA |

Federal, State, common law, admiralty, equity, chancery, private international, commercial/contract, treaties, Constitutions, Talmudic, Ecclesiastical, cannon, natural et al.?

It depends on the context in which it is applied. There is no universal 'highest form of law.'

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

By context do you mean jurisdiction?

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed

I mean if you are talking about the United States, it would be the US Supreme Court, but if you were having a religious, philosophical or international discussion, the answer would be different.

The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the land (if that's what you're inquiring about).

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

Okay great! So why do I hear of judges threatening contempt for a pro se, bringing up the Constitution in "their" courts? Aren't attorney's, judges and magistrates fiduciary trustees? Aren't the people the grantor, beneficiaries?

I agree that it depends on the context, since you even include religious references in your question. However, in the context of federal and state law, Article VI, Section 2, of the U.S. Constitution which is known as the Supremacy Clause, provides that the "Constitution, and the Laws of the United States … shall be the supreme Law of the Land." Therefore the federal government, in exercising any of the powers enumerated in the Constitution, prevails over any conflicting or inconsistent state laws.

Okay great! So why do I hear of judges threatening contempt for a pro se, bringing up the Constitution in "their" courts?

The law of gravity.

Nice one mate! I'll add that one to the list. Cheers.

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed

Absolutely the best answer!

Scott Benjamin Riddle

Scott Benjamin Riddle

Considering this was another "sovereign citizen" type question and attempted debate, this is as good as any.

Tony Soprano.

This is only an Avvo answer. I am not getting paid to give this response and am basing this response only on the information provided to me in the above question.

The Constitution of the United States of America.

Answers to questions on this web site are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Unless you and Troy W. Marsh, Jr. have signed a written contract, Troy W. Marsh, Jr. is not your attorney, and you are not his client. www.marshlaw1.com troy@marshlaw1.com

My ex-wife.

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed

I hope she is not an attorney who contributes on Avvo!

Christopher Irvin Simser

Christopher Irvin Simser

No. She sits in large circular room at the top of a stone tower. The windows look out over the fields and marshlands below. Thin wisps of smoke rise from the hovel of her destitute former husband. From time to time he ventures forth to harvest roots and grubs or try a DWI felony. It is a cheerless place.

If I can be forgiven for responding with a question, why on earth did you ask this question? Look at all of the legal minds you have challenged to come up with the most clever answer! Aside from witty retorts, there is no single "correct" answer because all such answers would depend on one's belief system.
So, I want to know: What do YOU think is the highest form of law?

Thank you for asking. I have now learned to be more selective with my words and lists and I agree, looking back at my question and the answers, it could be, and probably is influenced by one’s beliefs. Since I began studying, I would now say, in my opinion, natural law or "God's Law,” would be the highest form of a law. Then there are man made laws. 

I may be wrong, I am only learning. I would say there are two forms of law, natural law and man made law. Statutes, codes, constitutions, acts, bills, resolutions, ordinances, contract, commercial paper fall under man made law. Gravity, the universe, the earth, night and day, dark and light, good or bad energy etc., morals and dignity, fall under God or natural law. The maxims of law, it would seem are man’s, to describe natural laws. Correct me if I am wrong.

An example; "god" or some type of creation, creates people (children, men and women), people then form governments and create laws for societies (nations / beliefs), those governments create, corporations, persons and titles like citizen, driver or occupant for various reasons facilitating commerce. Correct me if I am wrong. 

In my observations both in the world and on the internet, I see and hear a lot of people who feel as though they and others in the United States are loosing Constitutional safeguards and protections guaranteed by that document. Do you see this? 

By the way, I DO NOT consider myself a Sovereign Citizen if perhaps any reader were to presume that by the nature of this comment or the original question and I hope this answer isn’t to over the top for this site. Thank you.