Skip to main content

What is the fastest, cheapest, and easiest way to go become a US citizen after entering the country illegally 12 years ago?

Arlington, TX |

My husband came to the US illegally at the age of 11. We have been married for a little less than a year and are finding it difficult to live with his situation. He does not have a visa or an ITIN # yet. We would like to start the naturalization process as soon as possible. Questions are: How much does it cost (average), how long will it take (average), will he have to leave the country? Do you have any recommendations of lawyers in the DFW area?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If he entered without inspection you can file for him but he will have to go home to continue with the process and file for a waiver of his prior unlawful presence. With government filing fees and attorney's fees, you will be looking at a range from about 2k-10k. Attorney's fees for waivers vary greatly and can become pricey due to the complexity involved. For an attorney recommendation, check the website of AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association): or do an Avvo search for an attorney in your area.

Patrice Dziire
Law Offices of Patrice Dziire


I will agree with my colleague. He might also be able to benefit from INA 245(i). I will recommend talking to a lawyer before he leaves.

Good Luck
Shah Peerally

Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC
Law Firm Deals in Immigration law & Debt Relief

Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer