Skip to main content

What is the easiest way to file for divorce if the parties live in separate states?

Mesa, AZ |

One party lives in Arizona and the other party lives in Pennsylvania. They have been separated for 5 years.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If there are minor children, you must file in the state where the children reside.

If there are no minor children, you likely could file in either state, however, the courthouse in Mesa, AZ would be a lot closer for you to go to than the courthouse in PA.

As you have been living apart 5 years, most likely it would be a simple divorce, over in about 90 days.

Our office, as well as most other family law offices, offers a free consultation. Talk to a lawyer here in Mesa to discuss the options.

Best wishes!

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.