What is the difference between State and Federal court? And do they both sentence drug charges the same?

Tucson, AZ |

And I am meaning for more serious drugs (dangerous drug, 1st offense) I just need a simple difference and explanation. Thank you

actually for a school report (studying Criminal Justice)

In a nut shell, both state and federal criminal systems are vastly different and have different statuses and sentence ranges as applicable to the same criminal conduct.
If you are in any criminal predicament, please discuss your case in confidence with a licensed professional.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

My colleague's answer is entirely accurate. Be sure regardless of which court your mater is pending in to seek and obtain the assistance of counsel. Good luck.

Two parallel but different systems as to crimes and punishments.

I thought all students used wikipedia these days; you'll want to search terms like "Federalism" and "mandatory minimum sentences" as some hot topics in these areas and the differences between a State and Federal court. Most crimes are state crimes.

Anyone viewing this web site should not act on any information contained on this site without seeking professional counsel from an attorney. Use of this web site and/or transmission of information to the firm is not intended to create, and should not be construed as creating, an attorney-client relationship with the firm or any of its attorneys. If you choose to communicate with the firm or any of its attorneys or other personnel through this web site, do not transmit any confidential or sensitive information by e-mail until you have spoken to an attorney from our firm either by telephone or in person. This web site may be considered advertising under applicable laws and ethical rules. The Law Offices of Brent D. Harris, PLLC do not seek to represent anyone in any state where lawyers in the firm are not admitted to practice, or in any state where this web site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.