Skip to main content

What is the difference between inadmissible and removable for GC holders.

Atlanta, GA |

If a GC holder of 20 years is found inadmissible but not removable. Why cannot he simply renew his GC and never travel outside of US. If he cannot renew his GC, then what's the difference between removable and inadmissible. Both make you ineligible to stay in US.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


How could he be found inadmissible if he did not already leave the U.S.? Removability is in section 237 of the Act, and inadmissibility is in 212 of the Act. They are not the same, people removable may not be inadmissible and vice versa.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Inadmissibility: Section 212(a) of the INA lists grounds of inadmissibility. These grounds apply to anyone seeking admission to the U.S. either as a permanent resident or as a nonimmigrant. Admission means the “lawful entry of the alien into the United States after inspection and authorization by an immigration officer;” and involves physical entry to the U.S. at a port of entry (INA 101(a)(13)).

Deportability: Section 237 of the INA lists the grounds of deportability. The INA still uses the word “Deportability” to define the grounds on which someone can be removed from the United States,although the name of the proceedings are no longer “deportation proceedings” but “removal proceedings.” If a foreign national is deportable, it means he can be placed in removal proceedings by Immigration Customs and Enforcement (“ICE”).

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney.


I agree with my colleagues, this person needs to hire an experienced immigration attorney if he has been denied entry or paroled into the United States.

No attorney/client relationship is established by this response, and the information provided in this response is of a general nature. You are encourged to consult an experienced attorney in your local area if you require specific legal advice regarding your legal matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer