What is the criteria for getting a specially set trial date in civil court litigation?

Port Saint Lucie, FL |

The judge who controls the calendar will decide

Generally, a trial court has broad discretion to specially set a case for trial and control their dockets. From a common sense perspective, if there is some significant issue (health, witness availability, etc.) that would make a compelling reason to get a specially set trial date, the party should raise the issue by motion before the court. Most Florida judges have significant case loads and obtaining a specially set trial can be difficult. However, when in doubt, file a motion and ask the court for a hearing.

I hope this helps.

Please note that the answer to this question is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with attorney Kelskey, it is largely a decision made at the judge's discretion. Another possible reason to specially set a trial in some jurisdiction is age, if the person is over a certain age, you can ask that the court set an expedited trial date? You would need to check the Florida court rules to see if there is a preference statute based on age, and if so, whether you qualify?

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.