Skip to main content

What is the correct method for service when replying to a response?

Everett, WA |

I filed a motion for contempt . An an order continuing hearing and notice of appearance pro SE was signed in our first hearing . She was assigned counsel and my ex responded through her attorney by mail instead of process server . The notice of appearance seems to indicate that I can mail additional paperwork to her via mail . Would this be OK under CR5A ( 1 ) ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

In most situations, after personal service of the petition the parties can serve each other with motions by mail. There are always exceptions to every rule, however. It would be best to pay for a brief consultation with an experienced family attorney, who would review the pleadings before giving you advice. See my AVVO Legal Guides on motions and service of pleadings for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


I agree with Attorney Clement, seems like he would be someone you should consider hiring to advise you and assist in your case to ensure you have the best chance to prevail?

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.


Yes, you can serve a reply by mail, fax, or even email. Just make out a declaration of service and file that with the court.