Skip to main content

What is the best way to handle harassment by an someone who is posting libelous and damaging information about me online?

New York, NY |

This has been going on for months and the person responsible is not stopping. I know who it is based on the information they have and their actions. The person admitted to a mutual acquaintance to setting up fake accounts on numerous websites to track my activities online.

While some sites have cooperated others refuse to remove the offending materials. The person responsible is also actively recruiting on hacker websites asking for help to go after me.

What exactly can I do here? Can I subpoena his ISP for his internet activity? file a restraining order, etc?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Hire a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter. You can't issue a subpoena unless a case is pending.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



Thank you for the comment. My only question about a cease and desist letter is that unless I am wrong it is not legally binding and doesn't impact the person responsible. If they have gone this far and this long I don't see why they would stop just because I send a cease and desist letter?

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein


Many people back off when a lawyer gets involved.


Hire a lawyer - or maybe contact the police - although I don't know how much they could or would do.

Best of luck.

Joseph L. Ciaccio is a New York attorney with the Law Offices of Joseph M. Lichtenstein, P.C. ( The answers posted herein are not legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship.


A local lawyer can send a cease and desist letter

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer