Skip to main content

What is the best way to go about getting a newspaper report of an arrest taken down The case was dismissed without prejudice.

Chicago, IL |

The arrest and dismissal happened over a year ago and was expunged 8 months ago. Should I call the reporter or email the reporter. I have the dismissal as well as the expungment documents but don't want to share them over the internet fearing another story.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


What did the story say? If it just said you were arrested, they are allowed to publicize that as it is public record. You may not have much of a legal leg to stand on, in which case I'd just ask to do that as a favor. But I know that many papers are not too fond of removing anything -- they consider it an affront to their integrity.
(773) 853-3062

This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship between us.


Not much (well, actually not anything) you can do if the story was true when it was printed.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.


The better action would be to take no action. If you contact the newspaper and they print a retraction, you are drawing more attention to the article. The older the article, the less people will find it.

Chen Kasher

Chen Kasher


I think the OP is more worried about being googled. No matter how old the article, it can still be saved in the paper's cache. I know people who google themselves and find articles from the late 90s.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer